Saturday, August 30, 2008

Does God Answer Prayers? NO.

D. C. you have gone over the edge with this one.

You might be right but please read the following story first.

The story is found in R.A. Torrey’s book, “How to Pray.” He recalls talking with a young Christian who has backslid from the faith. She had given up on God and turned away from God’s Word. The Bible. Why? “Because I have tried its promises and found them untrue.” “Which promises” Torrey asked. She was referring to the following scripture:

And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive. Matt 21:22 (KJV)

She had asked but did not receive as if sitting on Santa’s lap and giving him a list of toys wanted for Christmas. So often we as Christians have projected such thoughts to new believers in Christ. Mr. Torrey’s response is one we should all be prepared to give. He answered with scripture:

And we will receive from him whatever we ask because we obey him and do the things that please him. 1 John 3:22 (NLT)

Mr. Torrey continued the conversation by focusing on the young Christian’s relationship with Christ. Asking, “were you keeping His commandments and doing those things which are pleasing in His sight?” The answer for all of us is no.

These verses have directly affected me. For the past few months I have been fighting with kidney stones. The pain is excruciating. I not only pray but also beg for Christ to heal me. So much to the point of asking Him to release me or take me home. Yet it is during this time of struggle that I find myself closer to God than ever before.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Personally I'm glad God doesn't answer all my prayers, because sometimes what I want is not what's best for me or the person or situation I'm praying for. I'm especially thankful for a God that always knows what is best for me and who wants to always do what's best for me.I have to remember that He sees the big picture and know that some things I pray for just don't fit. So how do I know what to pray for, well, sometimes I don't, but the Bible says when I don't know what or how to pray that the Spirit prays for me. So the conclusion I've come to is that God know's my heart and he is able to weed through my prayers and do what is best for all. So if I'm praying wrong, what then? Well, I think God would rather I pray poorly than not at all. He's just glad to hear from me. Have you ever been with someone who was just silent? I have and found myself wishing for converstation of any kind, just say something, anything. I wonder how God feels when we are silent. I'm sure He feels much the same, "just say something, ask me anything, Give me the chance to do my best for you."
So, we just need to keep asking and just as important, keep trusting in His ability to do what's best for us.
Well, I guess I've said enough on this topic for now. Hope you have a great day.
DRPEG

Total Pageviews