Friday, November 28, 2008

You Need Friends

I do not know about your family but ours has had a hard time within the recent economic crunch.

When hard times hit it is difficult to maintain your joy. Worry and immediate family concerns can feel overwhelming. Friends are priceless especially in times of crisis. The sharing of ones experiences can help you prepare for what you are facing now.

A close friend of ours gave me a book this week. Billy Graham's "Hope for the Troubled Heart." Reverend Graham in chapter 8 sums it up well. "Out of pain and problems have come the sweetest songs, the most poignant poems, and the most gripping stories."

Right now my life story seems more like a tragedy than one of hope and inspiration. The problem is that I am looking at just one chapter when God already knows the whole book of my life.

God has given us His Word, His Son, His Love, and His Promise.

Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.”
Heb 13:5 (NLT)

Friends are there to lean on when needed. As a friend we are there to reach out and help one another up when they have fallen down. A friend is truly a brother or sister in Christ for my Bible tells me in the following verse: We know what real love is because Jesus gave up his life for us. So we also ought to give up our lives for our brothers and sisters. 1 John 3:16 (NLT)

Jesus laid down His life for me. Making my troubles trivial in comparison. And that is what my troubles are, trivial. It is our problems that remind us that we just cannot make it on our own. That is why we need Jesus. That is why He came to us in the flesh over 2,000 years ago. We cannot make it in this life or the next without Christ Jesus.

If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Eccl 4:10 (NLT)

The above scripture warns us about going at it alone. Asking for a friend's help is also the act of friendship. Be a friend. Help those in need and do not let pride get in the way when you need to ask for help.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Dear Duke,

It is so true about friends where would we be without them. There have been times in my life that I myself did not know where to turn and God would send just that right friend to me through a phone call or just showing up.

These past few weeks have been difficult with health, work, school and the list could go on but if it had not been for all my caring friends I don't know what I would do.

God truly has sent treasures into my life.

Love you Your FRIEND
Becky

Anonymous said...

I am glad to have you and your family as my friends!

Troy

Total Pageviews