Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hello Darkness My Old Friend:

When I was just a kid the dark frighten me. Fear would come over me like a blanket. Trapping me like being chained to a battleship anchor at the bottom of the sea. The same feelings would come over me when I saw a skeleton or skull. I don't why. I was little and did not know God. So I embraced my fears. To the point I preferred the dark and skulls no longer frighten me. This was a worldly attitude of self reliance. At times it seemed to work. In sports, in business and focusing what I thought mattered in life. My life that is. Very selfish and worldly.

Did embracing my fears help me conquer them? I think not. It just allowed the evil one to use me like a puppet. Pulling at my strings throughout my life. Then I came to know Christ. Released from captivity. Today the evil one comes at me with a hatchet in hand ready to strike without warning.

Do I still have fears? Absolutely. I would be a fool to deny it. Anyone would. Is it our fears that allow evil to control us? Or is it our lack of trust in God? This is what I face. I am sure you do too.

In the last few weeks I have experienced the darkest time in my life. My Christian Brother quickly pointed out the story of David and Goliath to me. Was David afraid? It appears not. God was with him. It was David's earlier experiences in protecting his flock that built his foundation of faith with God. So too does our life experiences with Christ build our foundation with Him. Ask any military soldier. They will tell you it takes years to create a soldier and seconds to loose one. Our lives can be turned around and upside down just as quick.

So when life goes bad what do we do? Even during these dark times in my life I must first thank God. What? Thank God for making my life miserable? As hard as it must appear the answer is Yes.

Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.
James 1:2-4 (NLT)

Reading the scriptures is one thing. Going through the trials is something we cannot do alone. This is why Christians have the advantage. We are weak but our God is strong. Times like now I look down and wonder how am I standing? I take a closer look and see that my feet are not touching the ground because Christ is carrying me.

We have all heard the statement, “I feel your pain.” When you can look another person in the eye and say, “I know your pain” then you have been released from the flames for an opportunity to help someone else. One just like you. This is what it means to be a Christian Brother or Sister in service of Christ.

- In His service. <><

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very, very good! I am proud of you Duke!

Troy

Total Pageviews