Sunday, September 26, 2010

We Shoot our Wounded:

I was told this by my Associate Pastor several years ago. “Southern Baptist have the reputation of shooting their wounded.” For years I have tried to deny this statement. Yet, I cannot deny what I have seen within my own church in the past three years. I personally have seen members of our church who have been led by God to serve at another church be literally crucified by other members of our church. Rumors and untrue accusations fly like rice at a wedding. Hate mail sent to them who's handwriting is obvious but refuse to sign their own letters of cowardice. The only way I can describe it is taking the Book of James and tearing it right out of your Bible and setting it on fire. Then taking the rest of your Bible throwing it on the ground and stomping on it. There is no doubt in my mind that Christians are the worst in persecuting Christians.

I count myself blessed to have been able to be part of a men's ministry of another church that I am not a member of. My brothers there have treated me with love and respect. I cannot say the same for some of the members of my own church who have gone out of their way to block any development or return of a men's ministry within our own church.

These atrocities within my church are rooted in personal pride and individual quests for control and power within the church. That's right I said church. On the outside seen as a fortress of safety but what lays within is an entirely different story. Not once looked upon with reverence to our Lord.

These situations and instances are normally ignored as disgruntle church members and those who remain just want to say, “Good riddance.” Funny the word “riddance” means “the act of forcing someone out.”

Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death. So don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters. James 1:14-16 (NLT)

No wonder more and more people will tell you they are looking for God and not a church. God and the word, “church” no longer seem to mean the same thing. After experiencing what I have written above you certainly cannot blame them. We as Christians have taken God's Word and ignored it. We have taken God's house and used it to isolate us from the world. Making us no different from any other religions and that is exactly how the world sees Christianity today.

Does this mean we should just give up? No, but we need to admit the corporate church model so associated in America today does not work. If a pastor is preaching to 300 to a 1,000 or more there is no way that one pastor can serve the spiritual needs of his flock. Even with two or three associate pastors the need cannot be fulfilled.

The only future I see for Christianity is a return to What Did Jesus Do. A one-on-one relationship. Tossing pride and self-absorbed out the door and focusing on putting the Great Commission to work as we have been commanded to do.

I am sure I will have more to write on this subject in the near future. Team up, Set-up and get into the fight. <><



No comments:

Total Pageviews