Friday, October 1, 2010

Sword Play:

In Ephesians 6:10-18 teaches us of the Armor of God. I have been told by many that Paul was just using such items as a metaphor. I still disagree. Paul used the armor as a straight forward example for us to follow. I will write a detail explanation another time.

In the 17th verse we receive direct instruction that God's Word is a sword. The first five pieces of armor are for defensive protection. The sword can be used for defense as well as for attack. Here in is the danger. A sword wielded by a child or even a novice can cause great damage to themselves and others. A true swordsman has to practice daily and can take years to acquire the skills to use it effectively.

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.
Heb 4:12 (NLT)

As we see in the Book of Hebrews the sword (Word of God) is a mighty and powerful instrument not to be taken lightly. Too often I witness fellow Christians debating each other using scripture against one-another. In other words like swinging swords wildly back and forth cutting everything in their path. The harm caused is tremendous. Stepping between it to help stop the fight can be extremely dangerous too. We so often as Christians forget just how powerful the Word of God is. Was it not God's Word that brought you to Christ?

Great swordsmen must practice daily. Train intensively over long periods of time. When studying God's Word we tend to skip by sometimes. Perhaps become comfortable with just a quick Sunday School lesson and the preacher's sermon thinking that is enough. I am guilty too.

Scripture memorization is very important. Too often though we tend to quote scripture unaware of realizing our opponent first. What do I mean by that? When I was an atheist and Christians would come up to me to witness they would often quote scripture. I was quick to challenge them by noticing first off that they were not carrying their Bible with them. I would ask, “Does the Bible really say that?” What could they do? They were not carrying their sword. I was in no way going to trust what they had to say. I was challenging their word. Their memory and their integrity was I not?

I have never been very good at scripture memorization. Perhaps because of my own past. I always try to have my Bible with me. When I do quote scripture I make a point in opening my Bible and saying, “My Bible says this.” Now if the scripture is challenged they are challenging God and not I. You see my weakness can and should be challenged. You cannot challenge God and expect to win. Can you say Satan.

There is more to a sword than just carrying it along like some ornament or fashion accessory. Like a great swordsman the sword becomes a part of him. No longer added to his attire but becomes an extension of one's self. A living breathing part of you. That is the Word of God. Living and breathing. The Christian life is one of living for and like Christ and less and less for yourself.

Do not be afraid to carry your sword in public. Do not be afraid to open it in the middle of a restaurant or bring it with you when you might have to sit and wait. Do not be afraid to carry it with you while walking down the street or to any event you might be attending. Wait D. C. someone might ask me a question? Well you got the book for it. Use it.

Team up, Set-up and get into the fight. <><

No comments:

Total Pageviews