Saturday, October 4, 2008

Witness Reaction Program Step Two: God’s Word

In step one we learned to communicate with God. Get in touch with Him at a moment’s notice. Now we are in tune with God. Let us move forward in getting to know Him through His word. This is step two of the Witness Reaction Program.

If my wife wrote to me 66 love letters and I did not read them or chose to just read some that interest me. What would you think my wife would believe of me? Yes, she would still love me but would she know my heart is in the right place? So it is with the word of God.
The Bible is a gift. Pastor Rick Warren author of the book The Purpose Driven Life says, “I have been a follower of Christ Jesus for over 40 years. Each time I read the Bible. God reveals to me something new each time.”

and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God Eph 6:17 (KJV)

When I was around 8 years old I went to visit my Uncle’s family in southern California. They insisted I attend church with them. I was excited about it. You see I had never been to church. I was not raised in the church. With my two cousins we went to Sunday School. Each of us was handed a Bible. Then asked to turn to chapter and verse. I had never seen a Bible before. I had no idea where to turn to. So I sat there quiet. The rest of the kids caught on very quickly that I was new to all this. Then proceeded to laugh at me. The Sunday School teacher as I recall did nothing but ignore me. At that moment the Bible represented nothing but pain and humiliation to me. I still hear the laughter in my head each time I walk into Sunday School. By age 18 if you had asked me what the 10 commandments were I would have said it was that movie they play around Easter. By my early 20’s my attitude was that I had no time for God and He had no time for me. I was mean to Christians. If one tried to show me the ABC’s of salvation with their Bible. I would lash out at them nearly to the point that I would take their Bible and want to beat them with it.

Now I carry with me my pocket Bible nearly all the time. You will often find me carrying a Bible wherever I go. My testimony is another entire story. Someday I will post it.

Jesus changed my life. It is through God’s Word we learn about Him about His son. Through the Holy Spirit we learn our purpose in serving Him.

Again D.C. I read my daily devotion and attend Sunday School. I do not have time for much more. I say, make the time. You will cherish it in time. When I was first saved one of the elders of my church took it upon him to guide me through a series of bible lessons through the Navpress. He himself was part of the Navigators. Through these series of lessons a foundation of truth was built. There are the key words: Foundation of Truth.

Even at Sunday School your teacher has very limited time to present, encourage and teach how to apply the scriptures to every-day life. Many churches offer discipleship-training classes. There with others you learn from a very focused study on particular books of the Bible and scriptures. At our church many members are involved with Bible study groups that have members from several other churches meeting at individual’s homes during the week.

All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
2 Tim 3:16 (NLT)

The above verse spells it out for us all. The second step in the Witness Reaction Program is God’s Word.

No comments:

Total Pageviews