Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pride and the Empty Sack:

If you're a Star Trek fan then you have heard the following statement. “Pride and an empty sack is worth the sack.” I have mentioned it before. Pride has toppled more governments and empires. Pride has destroyed more corporations. Pride has ruined more lives and decimated more families than any war or decease in human history. Pride is the devil's own nuclear bomb. It looks like everything else in the world and when it goes off nothing is left alive.

With that said is it alright to take pride in being humble? The American dream says no. A trap we have all found ourselves ensnared and disparate to get out of. We find ourselves trying to present ourselves in a better light or something more respectable. Why? Society calls for it. In business we have titles when in fact just plain old “Owner” describes it well for those who are truly in business. Owner means in-charge, the top dog, the buck stops here, and also means responsibility many of us would never really want to have or face. Yet society expects titles like CEO, CFO, manager, supervisor, president instead of servant or “Someone who can really help you.”

I heard a story about a man who was running for election for mayor of a small town. He had worked as a custodian at the city hall building for many years. Made very little money. His family scrapping each day to get by. One night there was a town hall meeting to present the candidates to the public. Many of them were well to do citizens of the town. Business owners, current politicians and high society types if you know what I mean. Each one made a wisecrack about the janitor running for mayor. Then it came the janitor's turn to talk. He did not try to call himself a sanitation engineer or try to project himself as something he was not. He did not even take pot shots at the other candidates like they had done to him. He simply spoke the following. “For years I have worked as a janitor at city hall. I have personally seen how my fellow town's people are treated poorly and without respect. I see the waste caused by all the offices here. The misuse of office machinery. I have had to listen to the gossip around the hallways. Poor attitudes and office politics. I have personally witnessed the disrespect for our town's properties. Over the years I have seen some of the most educated people in our town make a mess of what we call our city government. I'm a member of the same church as you. Many a times my family is overlooked or looked down upon. Why not? I am just a janitor. God has given my family and I strength to endure, hope and love when others simply pass on by. The desire to serve others. You might not understand, but God has put me in the right place at the right time. Who among these candidates has any experience in cleaning up a mess?”

Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. Prov 11:2 (NLT)

….for even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many. Matt 20:28 (NLT)

Peace be with you. <><

No comments:

Total Pageviews